Saturday, August 25, 2007

Playing the top 100 golf courses in America

Hello
This is my first blog, hopefully the first of many. From 1992 to 2002 (in 10 years) I played the Golf Digest Top 100 golf courses in America. I have written a book about it which you can find at www.golfersdreambook.com It is the story of my quest to play all of the top 100 (over 10 years I ended up playing 117, as the list changed every two years). It is the story of the courses and their history and most importantly the networking that I did to get invited onto these exclusive clubs.

I visited the best from Shinnecock to Pebble Beach to Augusta National and Pine Valley and more.

I am often asked what are my favorites. For years it was two!! Cypress Point and Merion. Cypress Point, just up the road from its more favored brother, Pebble Beach, Sandy Tatum once called it the Sistine Chapel of Golf. It's setting along the bluffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean are fantastic.

Merion, in Philadelphia may have some of the most interesting holes in all of golf. It is where Bobby Jones closed out his Grand Slam,where Ben Hogan staged his great comeback after his nearly fatal car accident. it is also the home of the famed wicker baskets on top of pins, designed to keep golfers from reading wind conditions from the flags. For years it was thought that it was too short to ever be awarded another major championship-- but low and behold the USGA has awarded it a U.S. Open in 2013. I, for one, can't wait.
Larry Berle

No comments: