Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Volvos new saftey braking system

I never write about automobiles but I just participated in a demonstration that screams to be written about.

I am at Penha Longa resort near Lisbon and Volvo is hosting this years model introductions for auto journalists from all across Europe. I managed to get a demonstration ride showing their new auto-braking safety feature. It is called
Collision Warning with Full Auto Brake and Pedestrian Detection. I was blown away. It is a $2,000 option they are introducing this year on the S-60 and on all Volvos in the near future.

The average person takes 1.2 seconds to react to a danger and initiate an action to avoid it. A substantial distance can be traveled in that time causing a fatal accident. In this demonstration we drove at approx 25 MPH toward a mannequin. When the driver would still have his 1.2 seconds to react and take action, a warning light flashes in the windshield. If the driver did nothing, the brakes were automatically applied and we stopped several feet short of the mannequin. As we approached the mannequin I flinched and it appeared to me that we were much too close to avoid hitting him, but this system is amazing.
If that isn’t enough, it can detect “drowsy drivers,” when they change lanes without signaling and it sounds a warning, and also flashes a light when someone drives into your blind spot. This detection is good at all speeds.

I asked the engineer “ if every car in the world had this, by how much would traffic fatalities be reduced?” Their current estimate is 20%

No comments: