Tuesday, August 28, 2012

playing the top 100

I wrote a story about my quest to play the Top 100 golf courses in the US for Avid Golfer magazine.
Here is a link to that article
Larry
http://www.myavidgolfer.com/articles/?view=department&department_id=44&issue_id=236

I was standing on the 18th tee box at Pebble Beach and my caddie said to me, “You are standing on the tee box of the greatest finishing hole in all of golf.”
Something about that statement resonated with me, and as I walked up the fairway I could feel I was walking in the spike marks of the greats: Hogan, Nicklaus, Palmer, Woods. After the round I wondered how I could recreate this experience? Then it hit me – play the top 100 courses in the United States.
And just like that, a dream was born.
First, to accomplish this, be aware that this was not a cheap venture. It took me 10 years, but it was worth every penny and every ounce of energy I put into it. If you decide to do this, the airlines, hotels, restaurants and car rental companies will be very grateful to you. And you probably will find that the guest fees are but a small portion of your costs.
Sixteen courses currently on this list are public or at least public access, and in at least three cases you can hit two courses in one trip to a resort (Bandon Trails and Bandon Dunes; Pebble Beach and Spyglass Hill; Blackwolf Run and Whistling Straits). Each of these trips will cost anywhere from $1,200-$2,000 for rooms, golf and caddies, plus airfare.
That’s the easy part (if you consider earning and spending the money easy). The hard part is getting on the private courses.
It’s going to take some begging and pleading to get yourself an invitation to the most exclusive clubs in America. For instance, I called my friend in Los Angeles, who called his cousin in Baltimore. She asked her husband, who called his uncle, who would become my host at Baltimore Country Club (Five Farms). That is how my life went for 10 years of this quest.
What I also found was people love to help, and I feel that is especially true in the golf community.
A business colleague of mine, Steve B., told me, “my dad’s a doctor and his partner is a member at Oak Hill in Rochester, N.Y.” Steve called his dad who then called his partner. “I would be glad to host Larry,” he told Steve’s dad.
I had never met this man before in my life, but after a few telephone conversations I was told I would be staying at his house with him and his wife and they would be picking me up at the airport.
Somewhere in the human universe is the “mother lode person.” Mine was a Wall Street broker, John, whom I met through a lady named Donna, who lives in Monterey, Calif. (all the way across the U.S.). I called John and told him my challenge – to play Golf Digest’s top 100 U.S. courses. My goal was to arrange a golf game at Garden City Golf Club.
“Any friend of Donna is a friend of mine, Larry, so consider it done,” John said.
Then he dropped a bombshell.
“While you are here what other courses do you need in the New York area? The person at the desk next to me is a member at Shinnecock and the guy at the desk next to him is a member at Baltusrol.”
He arranged four courses on that trip and two more on a return trip. Then one day John asked, “How about Columbus, Ohio? I am a member at the Golf Club and can also arrange Double Eagle.”
To say that John quickly became my new best friend is an understatement.
Pine Valley seems to always stand at No. 1 and the demand to play there is great. But it has nearly 1,000 members, so finding one is not as hard as you may think. Even though they are scattered across the country, many live in a 50-mile radius of P.V.
Here are some things you don’t want to miss!
Yes, this goal is all about the golf courses, but there is so much more to many of these experiences. For example, every guest at Augusta National Golf Club stays in one of the cabins. I stayed in the Firestone Cabin, which that alone was a huge treat. The dining room has no menus because the chef prepares whatever you want.
I also toured the Masters Champions locker room, the Crow’s Nest (where the amateurs in the Masters Tournament sleep), the media room, the Eisenhower Cabin (where the former president lived for several years) and, of course, the Butler Cabin. Where’s my green jacket?
The next morning we started on the par-3 course and then continued to the 18-hole course. If you’re one of the lucky few to get an invite, don’t miss an opportunity to play the par-3 course. If there were a top 100 in the world list of par-3 courses, Augusta National would have to be No. 1.
As I was getting in the car to leave at the end of the day, my host reminded me, “Larry when you wake up tomorrow morning, remember, this actually happened; this was not a dream.”
There are many challenges to getting on Augusta National, but one that is overwhelming is the members live all over the United States. You are not just asking someone to spend four hours to play golf with you; you are asking the member to travel quite a distance to spend the day with you. That is a big request. And don’t worry about the group ahead or behind you. A big day at Augusta National is five foursomes.
The history and memorabilia at places like East Lake in Atlanta, where Bobby Jones grew up playing golf (his former house still stands across from the club), is unbelievable. The locker room at Seminole will stop you in your tracks as you gaze on the history depicted on the wall there. The locker room at Milwaukee Country Club has an atmosphere that is incomparable. It stands near the top of the best 100 locker rooms list (yes, there is one of those lists, too). And for you Texans, standing in front of Ben Hogan’s locker with his hat, sweaters and, of course, 1-iron at Colonial, or just standing on the section of the range where Mr. Hogan hit balls almost every day, is quite inspiring.
The Tuscan style steaks at Sand Hills Golf Club in Nebraska are unlike any other, as is the legendary peanut butter, jelly and bacon sandwich at Fishers Island. And if you are a car buff, don’t miss the collection at Rich Harvest Farms.
At one point, a quest like this becomes as much, or more, about the people you meet and become friends with as it is about conquering the real estate. The networking takes on a life of its own. The telephone is a large part of the networking, but you can also use a blog or an email list to keep people informed.
Is this hard?
It depends on what you mean by hard. Networking your way onto these courses takes serious time and effort. But the friends you make will be well worth it.
Are the courses hard? You can bet the championship courses are a true challenge. The pro at Oakmont told me that in the few days prior to the last U.S. Open that was played there, members were quitting after just a few holes. Even without a U.S. Open set-up, I thought it was the hardest course I ever set foot on. Also, consider yourself a hero if you don’t four-putt at least one green at Augusta National.
This quest is not for the faint of heart. It took me 10 years, and because the list changed five times in those 10 years I actually played 117 courses to complete the 2002 list.
So go do it and have a blast!
Larry Berle is a golf travel writer who has played the entire Golf Digest list of America’s 100 Greatest Golf Courses and wrote a book about it: “A Golfers Dream.” Learn more at www.GolfersDreamBook.com.

HomeAboutContact UsTech SupportAdvertiseLegal

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Maxispelltemple,I am SANDRA26 from USA i am finally enjoying my relationship with MARK it seems like yesterday when my boyfriend lift me for some ass hole bitches for no reason i tried all i could to make him stop he never works until i contacted Dr MAXI for a very urgent help of spell casting.today all that is over now my boyfriend then now husband is back to me and it is stick to me permanently,All thanks to you Doc.email maxispelltemple@yahoo.com for urgent help

Jennifer Wheeler said...



Good Day everybody today is Monday and i want to use this time to thank a man dr.okoko An *** testimony on a spell caster who brought my wife back to me.. My name is Monet Wilson i live in USA ,and I`m happily married to a lovely and caring wife,with two kids A very big problem occurred in my family seven months ago,between me and my wife so terrible that she took the case to court for a divorce she said that she never wanted to stay with me again,and that she did not love me anymore So she packed out of my house and made me and my children passed through severe pain. I tried all my possible means to get her back,after much begging,but all to no avail and she confirmed it that she has made her decision,and she never wanted to see me again. So on one evening,as i was coming back from work,i met an old friend of mine who asked of my wife So i explained every thing to her,so she told me that the only way i can get my wife back,is to visit a spell caster,because it has really worked for her too So i never believed in spell,but i had no other choice,than to follow her advice. Then she gave me the address of the spell caster whom he visited.{okokospellcaster@gmail.com}. So the next morning,i sent a mail to the address she gave to me,and the spell caster assured me that i will get my wife back the next day what an *** statement!! I never believed,so he spoke with me,and told me everything that i need to do. Then the next morning, So surprisingly, my wife who did not call me for the past seven {5}months,gave me a call to inform me that she was coming back So ***!! So that was how she came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and she apologized for her mistake,and for the pain she caused me and my children. Then from that day,our relationship was now stronger than how it were before,by the help of a spell caster . So, i will advice you out there to kindly visit the same website {okokospellcaster@gmail.com,if you are in any condition like this,or you have any problem related to “bringing your ex back. So thanks to the Dr okoko for bringing back my wife,and brought great joy to my family once again. {okokospellcaster@gmail.com}

Unknown said...

i am here to give testimony of how i got back my husband, we got married for more than 9 years and have gotten two kids. thing were going well with us and we are always happy. until one day my husband started to behave in a way i could not understand, i was very confused by the way he treat me and the kids. later that month he did not come home again and he called me that he want a divorce, i asked him what have i done wrong to deserve this from him, all he was saying is that he want a divorce that he hate me and do not want to see me again in his life, i was mad and also frustrated do not know what to do,i was sick for more than 2 weeks because of the divorce. i love him so much he was everything to me without him my life is incomplete. i told my sister and she told me to contact a spell caster, i never believe in all this spell casting of a thing. i just want to try if something will come out of it. i contacted supremetemple@hotmail.com for the return of my husband to me, they told me that my husband have been taken by another woman, that she cast a spell on him that is why he hate me and also want us to divorce. then they told me that they have to cast a spell on him that will make him return to me and the kids, they casted the spell and after 1 week my husband called me and he told me that i should forgive him, he started to apologize on phone and said that he still live me that he did not know what happen to him that he left me. it was the spell that he traditional spell hospital casted on him that make him comeback to me today,me and my family are now happy again today. thank you Dr papa for what you have done for me i would have been nothing today if not for your great spell. i want you my friends who are passing through all this kind of love problem of getting back their husband, wife , or ex boyfriend and girlfriend to contact supremetemple@hotmail.com.or call +27799527702 and you will see that your problem will be solved without any delay.

Unknown said...

You don't have to feel bad just because your lover left you, When you have someone like Dr.Ekpen Temple who is capable to bring your lover back to you within 48 hours. At first i was a novice to this kind of thing, But after reading a lot of review online about Dr.Ekpen Temple i felt like giving him an opportunity to prove himself. So i took the contact information of Dr.Ekpen Temple which were +2347050270218 or via email: ekpentemple@gmail.com And my heart was filled with joy because just within 48 hours my lover returned. Thanks you Sir.

Unknown said...

Hi i am JULIE JONES from US I have just experience the wonders of Dr.UGO ANDREW love spell, that have been spread on the INTERNET and worldwide, How he marvelously helped people all over the world to restored back their marriage life and get back lost lovers, and also help to win lottery. I contacted him after going through so many testimonies from different people how he help to bring back ex lover back, i told him about my husband that abandoned me about 3 years ago, and left home with all i had.. Dr UGO ANDREW only told me to smile and have a rest of mind he will handle all in just 24 hours, After the second day my husband called me, i was just so shocked, i pick the call and couldn't believe my ears, he was really begging me to forgive him and making promises on phone.. He came back home and also got me a new car just for him to proof his love for me. i was so happy and called Dr UGO ANDREW and thanked him, he only told me to share the good news all over the world. ( He can also launch other similar spells)
Love Spells
Lottery Spells
winning court case
Divorce spells
Success
Money rituals
Low sperm count
Infertility in women
Breast enlargement/reduction
Penis enlargement/reduction
Health, Well Being
Protection, Healing
Curses, Hex, Breakups
NEW! Combo Spells
High Priestess Spells
Vampire Spells
Authentic Voodoo Spells
Custom, Other Spells
Business spells
Health/Healing spells
Curse removal
Job spells

Contact Email: generalspelltemple@gmail.com

Mobile Number: +1386-336-9876